Digital Dimdima
-By Jayanthi Mahalingam
The Kaveri in Mythology
The Kaveri in Kodagu
Meet the Kodavas
The first Tributary
The Kaveri Enters Mysore
An Ancient Dam
Visweswaraya's Dream
A Dream Fulfilled
Mysore's Guardian Angel
In Tipu's Domain
The Great Temples
The Shifting Sands
Sand Covered Temples
Shivasamudram
The Goat's Leap
The Kaveri in Tamil Nadu
The Last Island
An Outpouring of Music
The Temple Trail
Journey's End

 

The Kaveri Enters Mysore

The Sri Bhagandeswara temple situated near the confluence, is a well-known Saivite shrine. In 1790, the temple was damaged during a battle between a local ruler named Dodda Veerarajendra and Tipu Sultan, who had occupied the temple. Three copper tiles on the roof of the temple were destroyed. Veerarajendra replaced them with silver tiles which can be seen to this day. Bhagamandala has a honey marketing centre known as 'Madhuvana'. Bees are reared here and there is a rare apiary museum, one of the few in the country. It is equally famous for its fragrant cardamoms.
On the Kodagu-Mysore border is Kushalnagar. Hyder Ali, ruler of Mysore so named the town because he received the good news of son Tipu's birth when he was campaigning here.Beyond Kushalnagar, the Kaveri forms a natural boundary between Kodagu and Mysore districts.
Periyapattana, situated on the Madikeri-Mysore road, was once the favourite haunt of tigers. Legend has it that the big cats occupied the temples and forts in the town and it took all the skill of the renowned shikaris of Kodagu to render the place safe for habitation. The North Kodagu Club in Periyapattana boasts of no less distinguished a past patron than Sir Winston Churchill. He is said to have stayed here during his days as a subaltern in the Indian army.
Kodagu Sidelights
*Compared to the size of their population, the number of posts held by Kodavas in the armed forces is considerable. Field-Marshal Cariappa and General Thimayya were from Kodagu.

*Kodagu produces 4 lakh kilos of quality honey annually.
*Before the British established their rule in Kodagu, there were no roads, not even for carts! People could move only on foot or horseback. The Kodagu rajas did not construct roads for fear of invasion. The first road, built by the British, was opened in 1835 from Kulshalnagar to Madikeri.
*The Nagarahole National Park spread over 571 sq km is located here on the banks of the Lakshmanatirtha, a tributary of the Kaveri.


Liked This Article? Then Rate It.

 Select A
 DIMDIMA Site

 

 

 


Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Testimonials | Feedback | About Us | Contact Us |  Link to Us | Links | Advertise with Us
Copyright 2014 dimdima.com. All Rights Reserved.