Knowing mathematical terms is the first step towards learning and understanding mathematical concepts. It is therefore necessary to help students recall and use them often. Here is an activity which helps in doing so. Objectives
i) recall mathematical terms.
ii) use the clues to get the required mathematical term
iii) spell mathematical terms correctly
iv) increase their mathematical vocabulary
Draw the given crossword grid on the entire KG cardboard sheet
Divide the class into two groups
– One group to answer, using the clues across
– The other, using the clues down.
Read out the clues one by one and let the children answer.
Ask the children to write the correct mathematical term in the appropriate place using a pencil – just in case they make a mistake and need to erase it.
Encourage students to prepare such cross-word puzzles
Discuss the method of preparing such puzzles during leisure periods. This will definitely help in motivating them.
2. This is obtained when numbers are multiplied. (7)
5. This is approximately equal to 3.1415 (2)
8. A name given to the two numbers added. (6)
9. The number with which another is divided. (7)
10. The set of positive and negative numbers. (8)
12. The sign used in subtraction (5)
13. Space occupied by an object (6
16. A part of the whole. (8)
18. A closed figure of which radius is a part. (6)
19. 9 x 2 = 18. 9 is a ____________ of 18. (6)
20. In an equation, LHS and RHS are ____________. (5)
21. Figure formed by two rays extended from the same point in different directions. (5) DOWN
1. A three sided polygon. (8)
3. Angle greater than 90 degrees and less than 180 degrees. (6)
4. The longer side of a rectangle. (6)
5. The sign used in addition. (4)
6. Operation used to find the sum. (8)
7. Operation used to share things equally (8)
11. To determine the product we ______________. (8)
14. A triangle with two equal sides is a _____________ triangle. (9)
15. A quadrilateral with four equal sides. (6)
17. An angle measuring less than 90 degrees. (5)